Tips for Eating Healthy During the Holidays
The holidays can be a very difficult time to eat healthy. Here are a few tips to help you make healthy choices!
1. Don’t skip meals. Before you leave for a party or family get together, eat
a light snack before. Make sure that it is a healthy one, such as fruits or
vegetables. This way your will be less likely to over-indulge when you are
2. Bring your own healthy meal to your holiday gathering. That way you can be
guaranteed at least one healthy thing to eat.
3. Have other activities to do at gatherings other than eating. Try playing a
game, looking at lights or making crafts.
4. Plan time to exercise. Get a group of family or friends together and go
for a quick walk outside. Exercise can not only prevent weight gain, but it
also helps relieve stress that many of us feel around the holidays.
5. Eat until you are satisfied, not stuffed. Take time while you are eating,
your stomach gets full before your brain tells you to stop eating.
6. Go light on alcohol. Alcohol can lower inhibitions and make overeating
sound better. Alcoholic drinks are also high in calories and can be full of
7. Pick healthy deserts. Not all deserts are created equally. For example,
choose apple or pumpkin pie over a chocolate pie.
8. Be assertive. Don’t feel like you have to say “yes” to everybody that
offers you something to eat or drink.
9. If you overeat during one meal, the eat less during the next. That way your
daily caloric intake can have a chance to even out.